Sunday, November 02, 2008

Meeting a Fellow Gamer --

Today Jerry, a gamer new to our area, stopped by for a visit. He has three blogs. His main one is Hlynrian, where he discusses not only his gaming, but his attempts at sculpting 25mm Tricorn troops as well.

He is also in the formative process of founding two 18th century 'imagi-nations' -- the valiant Duchy of Frisland and its mortal enemy the scemingly nasty Duchy of Loathar.

Of course my characterization of these two duchies is perhaps slightly colored by the fact that Frisland is aligning itself with my own Saxe-Bearstein; while the loathsome rulers of Loathar even sent the heir of the Duchy to be fostered in vile Stagonia.

Anyway Jerry and I discussed a number of things. One of these was the fact that I'm 95% convinced that I should alter the movement rates for my "Tricorne Wars" rule set.

This is a change that has been some time in the making. On Murdock's 4' x 8' table the current rates were okay . . . but sometimes a bit ponderous. On my own 5' x 10' table I noticed particularly in our Wollmitz battle that they are just too slow.

So, as I discussed with Jerry, I've virtually decided to increase the movement in version 0.2 of my rules. More details in a future post.


-- Jeff

4 comments:

Martin said...

Hi Jeff,

A good set of rules is like a jalope - it takes a lot of tinkering to get it right. Like my Dad said to me when I was learning to drive a stick shift, "Grind 'em till you find 'em!"


Yours,

Martin

Gallia said...

Hi Jeff,
We've found making movement rates longer gets units into contact faster, makes maneuver more likely/easier and offers a much better opportunity to shift reserves - especially if a road bonus is raised by what many would consider a shocking margin. Ours in BAR is 25".
------
Also discovered is once enemy units come into contact with each other these slow down b/c they are locked in combat.
-------
Another advantage is cavalry breaktrhoughs and rallying back to one's original lines. Big movement rates now makes this more possible and striking.
--------------
Cavalry example in our BAR games:
Prussian Black Hussars lose to the Saxon Rutowski Chevaulegers. Hussars rout 18", 24" or 30" +1D6. Which one depends on a die throw. Pursuit depends on a die throw.
~~
Let's say the Saxons pursue throwing a die for the same speed options above. If the Prussians can be touched they are taken off the table. However, let's say the Saxons pursue BUT there is a Prussian Dragoon Rgt. near the path of pursuit. What happens next is the Saxons and the dragoons engage. All in the same turn.
-----------
The point is, this kind of thing is made more possible with longer movement rates.
-----------
At our Lobositz game a year ago (maybe two) we had pursuits and fall backs happening during several turns where units were covering vast distances while the plodding infantry kind of waits for the result - as they should.
---------------
Anyway, bravo to longer movement rates. I am so enamored with longer movement rates that in my 15mm AWI games, we use 25mm movement rates. It really helps.
-------------
Cheers and bon chance,
Bill

Frankfurter said...

a full sized table,live opponents, friendly rules development ...you guys really know how to hurt hermit!
Have tons of fun ...and share photos!
:)
Arthur

Anonymous said...

as an inveterate rules tinkerer, I'll add my support for longer moves not as a complaint but as a matter of course and preference over the years. In addition to the good comments Bill makes, I'll add that longer moves tend to mena that when a general makes a decison, he commits more easily as he has quickly gone too far to turn back easily. (even if he can change his orders!)
-Ross Mac
www.lochsloy.ca