Thursday, March 01, 2012

"A Month from Hell" --

Well that is how my wife described it . . . and we are very glad that February is over.

On the evening of the first I started bleeding heavily from my rear end. A trip to Emergency and I was admitted to Hospital, where I continued to lose blood. I know that they gave me at least nine big bags of fluid over the two days I was in.

On the second, my wife's father (age 95) passed away. It wasn't unexpected, but it was still a shock for her on top of my being in Hospital.

Mid-month I underwent a colonoscopy to find out why I was bleeding . . . and a few days ago we got the result. I have colon cancer . . . well, more correctly rectal cancer.

So the next step is an MRI to see how extensive it is and if it has spread. Then radiation. Then surgery . . . and I'm a poor surgical risk even though I've lost 35 pounds over a three-week period (because I'm still pushing 300 and I'm in my sixties).

It is quite a shock. I'm not in pain. I'm weak because my hemoglobin has dropped so low because of blood loss . . . but other than that I feel fine . . . well, except for the stress and not knowing how things will turn out.

And, thankfully February is over.

Whatever your faith, your prayers are welcome.

-- Jeff

26 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

Prayers,thoughts and best wishes from all of us here in the Duchy of Tradgardland!
take care
Alan

Jiminho said...

Dear Jeff,

This unwelcome visitor is well known in my family as well. My prayers and best wishes to you, Bon courage - we will all be thinking of you and are with you all the way.

Jim

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

You've got them, matey - stay positive and get well..!

Michael Mathews said...

You can beat it, I did. I'll add you to my prayer list. Blessings.

SteelonSand said...

Best wishes from Steelonsand Towers - stay strong, you'll be in our thoughts...

Prince Lupus said...

Every Emperor and Elector is with you Jeff.

MurdocK said...

Ready to assist.

As we have discussed.

Keep the faith.

A J said...

All prayers and best wishes from us too. Beat that darn thing like a piñata, Jeff!

Jacko said...

Oh Dear,

I wish you all the best for the future and hope that lady luck smiles upon you and yours.

Paul

Prinz Geoffrey said...

Be strong and get well.

Archduke Piccolo said...

Man, what rotten luck. All my best wishes go to you and yours.
Kia kaha! (Be strong!)
Ion

Ed said...

Best wishes for your health and that of your family.

Ed

Phil said...

Thoughts are with you Jeff, and the family.
Take good care.
Phil

littlejohn said...

Jeff, You are the best regardless of the trials....all here at the Lead gardens hope for your recovery.

all the best hopes...Dave(littlejohn)

marinergrim said...

Jeff,
Truly sorry to hear of your problems. As a fellow cancer sufferer you have my sympathies and understanding.

Soldadets said...

Best thoughts and wishes from beyond the Pyrenees too, Jeff.

Steve Gill said...

All my best wishes and prayers for yourself and family Jeff.

Steve Gill

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Jeff, You can beat this thing. Might be a hard slog but you can beat it. I'll send some of those hopes and prayers in support.

Remember we have another game to play yet!

-Ross

Capt Bill said...

The Beerstein Surgeon General advises to stay strong and follow all medical advice. The Archbishop of Beerstein has added you to his personal prayer list. Best regards,Bill...

Der Alte Fritz said...

Jeff: my prayers are with you and I know that you can beat this

Fritz

Old School ACW said...

Jeff, my thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Stay strong mate,

Greg

Gallia said...

Jeff,
Thank you for letting us know. I will take care of my share in your citcumstance at Mass for you and your wife.
---
Fellow Roman Catholics, we have the opportunity to mention Jeff silently in our petitions at Mass. Please remember to do so, if you please.
---
Many blessings to you and your wife Jeff,
Bill

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Sending positive thoughts your way, Jeff.

Warm Regards,

Stokes

David Morfitt said...

Best wishes from me, too.

David.

Martin said...

Dear Jeff,

So many medical advances have been made recently. Keep your spirits up, and know that a lot of people are sending positive energy and good thoughts to you and yours.

May your recovery be swift and complete!

johnpreece said...

You have my prayers and best wishes for you and your family.

It can be beaten and you are the amn to do it.

John