Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Birthday Thoughts --   

Yes, today (June 19) is my 64th birthday and I thought I'd post a few thoughts.

First, I'm alive and getting stronger.  As many of you know I had eight hours of cancer surgery in April and spent 20 days recovering in hospital.  I still have to take it pretty easy . . . and I often find myself taking naps . . . and I run out of breath easily (lots of residual anemia) . . . but I no longer have to use a walker . . . indeed I don't even use a cane in the house (although I do outside).

So I am thankful for my improving health . . . although I'm supposed to start about six months of chemotherapy next month, which will undoubtedly knock the stuffing out of me again.  Still, I'm alive . . . and it isn't all that many decades ago that I wouldn't be.

As for gaming, I've not been up to it since the before my surgery . . . but of course I've thought about it.

Hopefully I'll be able to resume my Colonial "Afristan" Campaign soon.  It was initially interrupted when one of my players had a heart attack, then of course I got sick.   I do need to finish painting some figures for the next couple of battles, but until recently I've been prohibited from lifting anything that weighed more than "a half kettle of water" so I haven't had access to my paints.

I also am looking forward to trying out Ross Macfarlane's "Hearts of Tin" rules with my Saxe-Bearstein and vile Stagonian forces.  One of the attractions of these rules is that Ross uses them for solo play . . . which would be good for me over the coming months since I would be able to play games in small chunks, resting when fatigue catches up with me. 

I am also hoping to re-base all of my 18th century units with bases better designed to fit into my gaming cabinet. 

Oh, while they haven't arrived yet, one of my birthday presents will be three books from On Military Matters:
  • THE WOLFENBUTTEL WAR
  • BLACK POWDER: Last Argument of Kings
  • THE WAR GAME RULES  
Hopefully it won't take too long for them to arrive . . . but I will have a good birthday even without them since I am still here.

-- Jeff

18 comments:

Dr Vesuvius said...

Many Happy Returns, Jeff.

And it's great to hear you're doing so well. Keep it up!

Dr V

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

GOOD attitude.... and happy birthday... :o)

marinergrim said...

A very Happy birthday to you sir. Positive mental attitude does you proud sir.
May there be many more to come.

NOMADIC OLD SCHOOL GAMER. said...

I am glad to read about your recovery, take it slow and follow Doc's orders. Take it easy and don't try to lift to much lead, they grow exponentially heavier with age (I am finding out). Me and my 40mm Schwabians have arrived in Virginia and plan on trying to get some gaming in before HISTORICON. I plan on taking and posting as many HISTORICON photos as I am able once it starts. I hope it will make up for your not being eligable to come this year.

ColCampbell50 said...

Jeff,

I am so glad that you are recovering nicely. May you have many more happy birthdays!!

Jim

A J said...

Many Happy Returns, Jeff! And here's to many more!

MurdocK said...

A very Happy Birthday to you Jeff and we will have opportunity to come over to help in the painting!

Press on with your plans - there are ways to make it all come about!

tradgardmastare said...

Happy Birthday from all at the Duchy of Tradgardland!
Keep planning those hobby ideas.Loads to set up when your feeling more like gaming.

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Happy Birthday Jeff! and many more to come. Recovery comes slow but its better than not recovering so rest up and enjoy what you can, when you can.

Even just setting up a few figures on a small table without playing can boost the spirits and give your imagination a lift.
-Ross

abdul666 said...

Cheers!

Jiminho said...

Happy Bluebear Birthday Jeff! I'm having a beer in your honour and then I'm having another!

It is great to hear that things are going along well. I'm hoping that you have a good day - have fun. Here is to many more!

Jim

Fitz-Badger said...

Happy birthday, Jeff! I'm glad to hear your recovery is coming along. Best wishes for the future and I hope you can start to ease back into gaming and painting and all. Take care!

Archduke Piccolo said...

Great to see you back on your feet and ready - or at least thinking about - once more 'going for a (table top) soldier.'

Best wishes for your 65th year!
Cheers,
Ion

SteelonSand said...

Good to hear things are going in a positive direction , Jeff, and many happy returns - thinking about the hobby-related will be the amongst the best therapy you could receive, all best wishes for the future.

Gallia said...

Best wishes and prayers for you and your good wife, Jeff.
Sincerely,
Bill

Capt Bill said...

Hip hip hurrah, happy birthday from all of Beerstein.Best wishes for a speedy recovery...

justMike said...

His Majesty de St. Maurice's complements on your birthday (albeit delayed in the delivery), and wishing many more Jeff.

tidders2 said...

Happy Birthday

-- ALlan