Tuesday, July 31, 2012

New Bases Cut --    

Today I got a whole bunch of new bases cut for my Saxe-Bearstein and my vile Stagonian 18th century armies.  Mind you I didn't cut them myself; but thanks to a friend with a bandsaw who cut them for me, I now have over a hundred bases each for both infantry and cavalry.

For those who don't know, I live about a third of the way up the east coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada.  (Note that Vancouver Island and the city of Vancouver, which is on the mainland, are quite different places).  This is hardly a hot bed of miniature gaming, so I don't have to worry about matching my basing to anyone else's.

I have found that I really like square bases.  And I like thick bases (blocks of troops can be moved more easily).  So I purchased a quarter sheet of 1/4" MDF (medium density fiberboard) and my friend Stuart cut a lot of it into 40mm squares for foot and 47mm squares for cavalry.

"Why 47mm squares?", you ask . . .  I mean 50mm squares are more common, right?  Well, yes, but those would make my units a bit too large for my display cabinet . . . and the horses DO fit on the 47mm squares.

So that, of course, was the easy part.  Now I have to remove all the figures from their current bases before I can place them on their new bases.  But first I will paint the sides of the bases (which is much easier to do en mass before they're attached to figures).

This rebasing is something that I decided I'd do back when I was flat on my back in the hospital.  Now all I have to do is get it done . . . which won't happen quickly I'm afraid since I still do need to take lots of naps during the day . . . nevertheless, a start on the project has been made.

-- Jeff


4 comments:

Gallia said...

Satisfatcion, progress, renewal, improvements are all happy things Jeff.
Best wishes and good luck,
Bill

tradgardmastare said...

Rebasing can be fun I find.
It gives a new impetus to old figures and speaks of gaming fun ahead...
Enjoy and best wishes
Alan

MurdocK said...

Looking forward to pushing some lead with you soon Jeff!

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

A fine task to do while recuperating as you can do as much or as little as you feel like, whilst still making progress...