Sunday, August 12, 2012

Chemotherapy & Re-Basing --  

My chemotherapy starts this coming Wednesday.  Fortunately they tell me that the nausea that used to plague chemo patients is pretty much a thing of the past thanks to very effective nausea medications.

Unfortunately because of the nature of chemotherapy I am likely to be extremely fatigued (and I already have to take numerous naps during the day).  Also I will be very susceptible to infections . . . so I will have to avoid going out as much as possible.  So for the next six months I will pretty much be a stay-at-home invalid . . . *sigh*.

On a happier note, I have now re-based (but not yet flocked) 192 cavalry for my Saxe-Bearstein and vile Stagonian armies.

Each of the above will now have four regiments of Horse, three regiments of Dragoons and a single regiment of Hussars.  All units are twelve figures strong and mounted on six two-figure 47mm square stands.  (The square 47mm  stands allow the units to fit comfortable in my display cabinet.

I do need to paint up some more infantry.  Unfortunately the Blood-Ax figures that I have for the rest of my army aren't available any more as far as I know.  So I will be having to use some plastic WSS from Warlord Games that I picked up a while ago . . . but the thought of having to cut all of the parts from the sprues and piecing the figures together is a bit daunting to me the way I'm feeling since my cancer surgery.

Don't get me wrong.  I DO feel much stronger than I did after the surgery . . . just nowhere close to how I felt before it.  I have also regained some weight.  I had lost 60 lbs, but have regained about 15.  However I've been warned that I'm likely to lose more during the chemotherapy.

Hopefully I will be able to play some solo games (albeit over several sessions) during the next six-months . . . which is why I've been refurbishing my 18th century troops.

-- Jeff

12 comments:

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Sounds like a good time for some videos as well. Hope all goes well with the chemo.

Also I note that Historifigs is promising to bring back the Blood Axe 25mm 18th C range.

Ross

MurdocK said...

Keep up your connecting efforts Jeff, I shall expand mine and see if we can match up for some across the table time.

Even a half hour session would be acceptable, if it helps to keep your spirits up.

Bluebear Jeff said...

Ross,

Sadly I have little confidence in Historifigs. They have several times over the past few years promised to send me a couple of sample 25mm Colonial figures so that I could see how they might fit with my Ral Parthas . . . and I have never received anything.

I will try emailing them again about the Blood-Axe figures . . . but given the history I am not optimistic.


-- Jeff

Scottswargaming said...

Hi Jeff, yes there are pretty good anti-nausea treatments now, especially ondansetron...

I hope you are feeling better soon and on the road to recovery, and can look forward to some gaming in whatever format you can enjoy.

Best, Scott.

Fitz-Badger said...

Best wishes on your treatment and recovery!
Hopefully you can find energy and ways to keep your hobby efforts going as you recuperate.

Capt Bill said...

All of Beerstein is glad to hear of your steady progress. Keep moving foreward my friend...

tradgardmastare said...

Well done for the rebasing.
Our best wishes and prayers for your forthcoming chemo and continued recovery...
take care
Alan

tidders2 said...

Hope all goes well with the chemo.

Rebasing is a bit tedious, but pays dividends when your troops look better on the table.

Happy gaming

-- Allan

johnpreece said...

Still rooting for you!

John

Kelroy Was Here said...

Prayers and well-wishes. Solo games are the best sometimes. I recently "discovered" your Mythic Fangharm Quest blog. Between it and Seur Armadilleaux's NWF write-ups a couple of years ago on the Colonial Wars Yahoo Group, it's really piqued my interest. Get well and get strong.

A J said...

Hang in there, Jeff. Beat the foul thing like a pinata.

My only experience with plastic multi-part figures is with Wargames Factory. They weren't too bad to assemble, and I found ordinary (cheap) craft acrylics work just fine on them.

David Morfitt said...

Good luck with the chemotherapy.

Hope you find the energy to work on your figures and get some solo games too.

Cheers,

David.