Saturday, September 29, 2012

Changing Plans --   

I'm now on my third session of chemotherapy and am wiped out but otherwise doing okay . . . at least I think so.

However I am changing my plans as to what I'll try playing solo (in lots of little chunks).  I was going to game "The Stagonian Wars" set about 1725 or so . . . but since I can now get the Battleaxe figures I need from Historifigs, I think that I will have to put that project on hold for the nonce.  The figures won't be immediately available since some new molds have to be made . . . and it will take a lot of time in my current condition to get them painted.

So, what to do?

I took a look in my figure cabinet and realized that I have two balanced late Renaissance armies all ready to go.  They are based for Clarence Harrison's "Victory Without Quarter" ECW rules.  Now I like these rules, but my usual opponent Murcock of MurdocK's MauraderS and The Duchy of Mieczyslaw fame, does not care for them . . . and I don't want to inflict them on him when there are other periods and rules that we both like.

But for solo gaming, I think that they will work splendidly.  The two armies are currently flaged with Stagonian and GNW-era Swedish flags.  I can't use the latter for Saxe-Bearstein because (by my background) it didn't come into existence until the Thirty Years War . . . and, of course, the Swedish flags are wrong too . . . but they look good.

But Sweden is a long way from Stagonia (roughly Bavaria) . . . so I need to create a new Imagi-Nation to the north of Stagonia (Saxe-Bearstein is to the east, basically Bohemia).  But except for basing about six more units (all figures except for three already painted), I have little more to do . . . so instead of "The Stagonian Wars" I was planning on, I will now be attempting "The Early Stagonian Wars" using the same mini-campaign I previously planned for the later period.

At least that is the plan as of now.

-- Jeff

5 comments:

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Sounds like a good plan. VwQ should work well for a solo game.

MurdocK said...

Yes Jeff the VwQ rules do lend themselves well to a solo game - plus you just turn over a card, move that bunch - check in see if you are keen to continue - turn over the next card etc. You have the ability to leave the figs etc all set up (unless that new cat is keen on table tops?) so the game can take as long as it needs for you!

Bravo on sorting it Jeff and all the best in the battle to come.

A J said...

You've got an interesting project lined up, Jeff. I'm looking forward to seeing how you develop it.

All the best for your treatments. Get better soon.

marinergrim said...

Good to hear that you're making plans to play games.

John Y said...

Jeff, glad you're doing OK other than being wiped out.

This sounds like a great project - and it capitalizes on one of the best parts about solo gaming: being able to use whatever rules you like.

Looking forward to reading more about your project as it develops.

-John