Thursday, November 08, 2012

Well I was to have reached the half-way point in my chemotherapy yesterday . . . but the cancer doc has given me a two-week break before we resume the chemo regimen.

Why?  Because the level of my fatigue and shortness of breath worried him.  So I ended up spending 8 hours in hospital undergoing a bunch of tests and scans to rule out potentially dangerous possibilities . . . which they did.  I don't have a blood clot or heart disease, I have not had a heart attack, etc.

I'm just exhausted from the chemo.

So perhaps during this two week "recovery" break I can actually manage to get going on my hoped-for mini-campaign using Clarence Harrison's "Victory Without Quarter" rules (slightly modified for my "Alpian Wars" 16th century setting).

I have been thinking about asking a few fellows to help in terms of making some of the initial choices for assembling commands and setting orders of march and so forth . . . to make sure that I don't "rig" the battle against those vile Stagonians.

Frankly the troops are ready but my table isn't.  It has lots of stuff on it that I just have not been able to gather the energy to clean up.  And I still have to make roads.  I purchased vinyl for this months ago but have yet to cut it into roads . . . *sigh* . . . I just didn't realize how totally fatiguing the chemotherapy would be.

But hopefully I can recover enough in this two week stretch to get started on the "Alpian Wars".

-- Jeff

14 comments:

A J said...

I'm glad to know you've been allowed a break from the treatment, Jeff. Chemo really took a lot of energy out of my mom in law, and she perked up a lot on her break.

I've been thinking of play-by-email systems for running a campaign. One of the advantages of modern tech.

tradgardmastare said...

Great to have an update from you.It is good that you are having a break from treatment.
I do hope the gaming takes place and that you will keep us posted.
very best wishes
Duke of Tradgardland and family

BaronVonJ said...

VWQ is a fun set of rules. If you need paper figs to get a game going, I made some to playtest with.
-J

Bluebear Jeff said...

Jaye,

Thanks but I do already have troops for the mini-campaign . . . 16th century instead of 17th, but still a pike&shot period so they should work fine . . . although I'm slightly modifying the movement rates.

Everyone,

Thank you for your positive thoughts. Even after a few months of this crushing fatigue I'm still amazed at how much determination it takes to simply stand up.

So hopefully this pause in treatment will help.


-- Jeff

BaronVonJ said...

So Italian Wars-y or later Dutch Revolt/French Wars of Religion-y?

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Sorry to hear how bad the fatigue is Jeff, its good you are getting a break.

Let me know if I can help remotely with the campaign.

-Ross

NOMADIC OLD SCHOOL GAMER. said...

Keep the stiff upper lip and you will endure this trial by fire. I am praying for your eventual return to good health.

Scottswargaming said...

Wishing you the best Jeff. Hoping you can stay strong and get through this. You are in my thoughts mate.

Best
Scott

Capt Bill said...

All of Beerstein is hoping you will have a speedy recovery. Stay well, my friend!

Prince Lupus said...

Have a good rest Jeff.

I'd recommend a look at Portable Wargames as expounded by Mr Cordery et al. Adventures in Portable Wargaming is also looking into ECW.

A quick set up, game for an hour and snooze for two. The perfect afternoon.

littlejohn said...

hang in there Jeff, enjoy the gaming!

marinergrim said...

Take it easy and read that back log in the library.

Good to hear that you're over the hump as it were.

Kelroy Was Here said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you accomplish, and I know you will find the energy. Gaming is important, y'know!

Anonymous said...

Keep up your Good work Jeff, really looking forward to seeing more.

Get over these next few hurdles and then get back to entertaining us.

My heartfelt thoughts go out to you

regards
Barry