Saturday, December 01, 2012

The Joy of Playing Again

As many of you know, this has been a very bad year for me health-wise.  What  with illness, the diagnosis of cancer, radiation, surgery, long hospital stay and now months of chemotherapy there hasn't been any gaming.

In fact I checked and it is over 14 months since I had a chance to put figures on the tabletop . . . so even playing a solo game brings me much pleasure.

Now, while the chemo leaves me exhausted (and seriously reduces my immune system) I remain unable to play any face-to-face games . . . BUT I am able to play a solo game thanks to Ross and Murdock for issuing orders to their armies via email.

I am using Clarence Harrison's "Victory Without Quarter" rules . . . although out of period.  They were written for the English Civil War but I've got a couple of 16th century Pike & Shot armies that are properly based for it and so I'm using the rules anyway.

"Victory Without Quarter" is "card driven" and thus they are quite unpredictable in terms of who can do what and when . . . which makes it great fun for me.  I never know what the next card will bring; and that provides suspense. 

The action has see-sawed back and forth with one side having the advantage, then the other.  Right now either could easily still win . . . which makes it very interesting and provides a very big "bright spot" in my day.

The current battle is intended to be the first in a series of five-battle mini-campaign . . . so losses from this fight will have consequences later on.  I don't know if my current on-line generals will continue, but if not I'm sure that someone will step into their shoes.  It is great having someone else make the "command decisions" (some of which have surprised me) . . . I do love not knowing what will happen next on the table top.

If you care to follow the action, check out my "The Alpian Wars" blog.

-- Jeff

10 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

So pleased you are enjoying your game Jeff. I look forward to reading about it...
best wishes
Alan

Scottswargaming said...

Good to hear you are getting back into it Jeff.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Excellent news! Looking forward reading the battle report...

NOMADIC OLD SCHOOL GAMER. said...

Great to hear you are back in the game Jeff. Take it easy and have a great time, look forward to hearing how it goes.

Michael Mathews said...

Great way to get in a game in a fun, challenging and safe way. May the Advent season see things get even better.

God Bless.

Fitz-Badger said...

Yes, it's good to hear that you are able to get in some fun gaming. Good for what ails you, as they say, I should think. And the "online generals" sounds like an excellent way to make things more interesting for you and let them have a bit of fun as well.

MurdocK said...

Happy to be part of your spirit Jeff.

John Y said...

Glad you're getting to play some!

littlejohn said...

Jeff if you need another general to give some orders...I'm your man...great to know you are enjoying some game time!

Bluebear Jeff said...

Thanks, littlejohn, I will keep that in mind. Right now I think they will keep on . . . but who knows . . . and I think that I'll play more of these in the future as well.


-- Jeff